Best Deer Fencing for Any Property
Deer are beautiful and majestic animals in nature.
However, they can quickly turn into pests on private property.
Deer can mean bad news to your garden and landscape as they can destroy your plants when they find some sources of food.
More importantly, the ticks that deer carry on them can pose a serious danger to you and your animals.
By fencing out deer, you will be able to:
- Protect your plants from damages
- Keep toxic chemical like tick spray away
- Prevent you and your family from potential lime disease
- Protect your pets and animals from wildlife
Deer fencing options are so numerous, they can be difficult to navigate without the proper knowledge.
Several factors are involved when choosing the right fence for the job including:
- Aesthetics: How the fence will fit in with your overall landscape and add more value to your property.
- Price: Fencing an acreage can be a huge job and its cost can be monumental without the right knowledge of the best fencing option to use.
- Material Quality: In order to prevent wildlife like deer from entering your property, the fence must be able to stand the test of time. Depending on the type of fence you pick, you might be able to keep out more than just deer.
- Durability: It is additionally important when it’s time for repair. If the fence experiences any damages, it is crucial to get it repaired immediately. Deer are smart creatures that will notice the damage and will find a way to exploit it. A good fence option should not break easily or require a lot of maintenance.
- Animal Safety: Whether it’s your pets or farm animals, it is important to keep them in mind when building a fence. You should pick one that will protect them from wildlife as well as from inadvertently running out into traffic.
We aim to provide guidance and fantastic service to those wanting an adequate deer fence.
Whether building a deer fence around a garden or building a fence around your entire property, we’re here to help.
Here are 5 best fence options for homeowners looking to keep deer out of their property in Alberta.
What You Should Know
Every deer fence follows the same general guidelines – each deer fence should be at least 8-feet tall and made with durable materials.
The biggest rule for a deer fence is to always build a gate.
Deer can easily jump over 4-foot fences commonly found at many residential homes, hence why an 8-foot deer fence is necessary.
Even though fence repair is a regular part of fence ownership, a deer fence should be able to withstand the test of time.
If a deer cannot clear over a fence, they may try to squeeze under one. Despite their size, deer will push themselves under or through any sizable gap in a fence.
Using durable deer fencing materials can lessen the frequency of fence repair, and could save property owners money in the future.
What Not To Do
The last general guideline is to avoid using barbed wire or spikes in fencing.
Deer have very poor depth perception and can’t see barbed wire very well.
Because of this, unfortunately, many deer become entangled in wire and unable to escape.
Spikes on top of a fence should also be avoided as they can snare a deer causing fence damage and can also mortally wound a deer.
Different Deer Fencing Options
A game fence is specifically designed to keep deer and other pests out of ranches and farms.
It is constructed with standard wooden posts and either galvanized wire or chain link.
Our Game fences at First Class Fencing are sturdy and won’t injure any animals who come near it.
Game fences are cheap, and repairs are relatively easy.
The aesthetic of this fence could be fitting on a ranch or rural background.
On the other hand, this fence may not be the right fit aesthetically for some residential properties.
All-Metal Chain Link Fence
Chain link fences are commonly used in residential and urban areas.
They are easy to install and perfect for backyard protection and community gardens.
Made of ultra-tough galvanized steel, chain link fences are incredibly durable and represent an excellent strength-to-weight ratio.
The cost can be a little more than steel wire or mesh but is still an affordable option.
The aesthetic is based on preference, and some people prefer wood over metal when it comes to how their property looks.
Wire Mesh Fence
Wire Mesh Fence is constructed of galvanized wire that is knotted or welded into rectangles to create a continuous mesh, connected to wooden or steel posts.
It has been the go-to choice of deer fencing due to its affordability.
You also have the flexibility of choosing between a variety of wire fence heights, wire sizes and wire spacing to suit your specific needs.
Nothing screams curb appeal like a well-built garden fence.
Garden fences are aesthetically pleasing and durable.
They provide privacy, while also fitting in perfectly as a back-yard barrier.
Garden fences are made of pressure-treated wood and can withstand weather and stay standing for decades.
This is more expensive than other alternatives but could increase property value while also keeping out deer and other vermin.
First Class Fencing Can Help!
Here at First Class Fencing, we understand the differences in deer fencing. With many more deer fencing material and design options available, we’re happy to go over which option is the best fit for you and your property.